Media interviews provide a key opportunity for brands to communicate their core brand messages and establish credibility with their target audience. Therefore, it is important to provide brand spokespeople with proper media training to ensure they are prepared when an interview opportunity arises. Below are a few tips and tricks to nail your next interview!
- Know your audience. Understanding the audience will help ensure your interview is relevant, understandable and impactful.
- Establish your top three speaking points.
- Determine strong, memorable supporting points that differentiate your brand and underscore the importance of your top three points.
- Practice, practice, practice… and when you think you’ve practiced enough… practice one more time!
During the Interview
- Communicate your key messages at the beginning of the interview, don’t wait!
- Be sure that these key messages define and differentiate your brand.
- Be succinct and get straight to the point.
- Be confident: you are in control!
- Ask the reporter to repeat the question if you’re not clear or need more time.
- But also, don’t be afraid to say you don’t know the answer to the question.
- Don’t forget to share a call to action at the end of your interview (i.e. where to buy or head to our website for more information).
Answering Difficult Questions
- First, determine whether the question should be answered or not.
- Take some time to gather your thoughts (asking to repeat the question should provide you with that extra time).
- Leave no room for ambiguity. It is very difficult to misinterpret simple “yes” or “no” answers.